Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #50 - Fuzzy's Taco Shop - Central and Rock

Well, here we are: the BIG 5-0. Ok, so we didn't hit our original plan (hey Travis, maybe we should update our page description?) of 52 taco joints in 52 weeks for 2017. But considering we're trying to get 3 busy guys together for tacos during the week, I think we've done pretty well. Plus, we're having so much fun, we decided to throw the 1 year mark out the window. As long as new taco places open (or current taco places change and evolve) we'll continue to go. And eat. And blog. So... speaking of new taco places, Wichita has been all abuzz about the opening of Fuzzy's Taco Shop. So, of course we had to go and check it out.


Chris was the first one to get there, around 1130am on a Friday morning, and the place already had a LONG line to wait in. It took every bit of 20 minutes for him to get all the way through it. The place is nice and new: sort of a yuppie's fast food taco haven. Bright, active, and loud. You go in, order at the counter, and they give you a buzzer to let you know your food is ready at a pick up counter. Be sure to navigate carefully, as you have to cross the pick up counter to get to the drink station. Not sure what genius designed that, but the traffic jam was noticeable. Anyway I went in and grabbed a table and had Chris put my order in since he was already in line: I decided to go with 2 shrimp and 1 fish taco.


Once the guys FINALLY got through the line, I had about another 10 minute wait before my food was actually ready. When I got to the counter, I couldn't find my plate, till someone pointed out my order was actually in a To Go bag. Anyway, I got my tacos back and tore in: if you haven't read the other guys' description of their tacos you should. Unfortunately, I was equally disappointed in my fish and shrimp tacos. Things were pretty skimpy and what meat was there just didn't have much flavor. They weren't "throw 'em back at the workers" horrible, but they were very meh.


So, my conclusion? I would LOVE to hire the marketing guy for this location. Seriously. Somehow they managed to get a bunch of 5-star reviews before the place even opened (apparently just based on the reputation of other locations nationwide) and have people lined out the door to wait 30 minutes for mediocre fast food tacos. At 2.59 each. MAYBE I'll go back, but not till they get a little better and the line dies down. WAY. DOWN. My overall rankings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 1.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 1.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 2.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 1.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 1.5 Tacos



No comments:

Post a Comment