Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #48 - Taqueria Alteña - 3835 S Seneca

Sometime recently, a gentlemen named Blake Attebury posted on FB about Taqueria Alteña and how it was good and deserved some local love.  I candidly don't know Blake, but his post went crazy - I see it now has over 3200 shares and almost 1500 likes. I was also tagged in or the post was shared to me like 4 different times I think.  So when something gains that much attention that quickly, we must go!

This place is pretty new - I think maybe a donut shop occupied the space recently because of the donut stickers still on the window and in the process of being scraped off.  They are located just south of 235 on Seneca and bring cash!  It's a small place so you gotta watch for it or you'll drive past like we all did.  There's not much inside - maybe 9 tables or so.

Ordering was slightly confusing - there were 4 (?) tacos on the menu but a 5th (carnitas) was available.  I decided to try the shredded beef, carnitas, al pastor, and carne asada - and left the cheek for Shon (and a surprise for Chris).  The food came out in a timely manner and was presented nicely in a semi-fancy bowl-like thing.  Everything was served street-style with 2 tortillas - well, mine were but not everyone's.  Looks like plenty of meat on everything so I was eager to dig in.

I started with the shredded beef - I think. It was hard to figure out exactly which was which because mine had tomatoes but no one else's did. So full disclosure, I'm not 100% sure.  It had a decent flavor but it was a little dry. It honestly wasn't bad - I just had hoped for a bit more flavor on this taco.  I'd be open to getting it again and making sure to know if that's really what it was!

The carnitas (I think) looked exciting to me and I wasn't disappointed.  It had plenty of meat - it was definitely moist and tender and I enjoyed it. A good flavor and was something I would get again for sure.

The al pastor didn't have as much red tint as we usually see, so I wondered if it would be as seasoned as we've seen elsewhere.  It wasn't.  It had plenty of meat and the flavor that was there was good - but it definitely wasn't as bold as we've had other stops.  I'd call this a solid "not bad".  Nothing memorable though.

The carne asada was last - another "not bad" version.  It didn't have a lot of flavor and it was a little chewy.  It had plenty of meat but I still had kind of hoped for more flavor to the taco.  Sometimes we encounter "bland" carne tacos, and this one is on that list.  That doesn't make it bad, but it doesn't make it stand out either.

Overall this new place I think will be fine for awhile. It's not a terrible location if you're headed south - as it's a very quick hop "off" of 235.  There were definitely some odd things that happened though with some tacos for others being served on only 1 tortilla instead of 2. Also, the menu not being quite up-to-date with their entire selection was a bit confusing.  Last but not least, I'm not entirely sure why my taco had tomatoes and no one else's did. So I think they need ramp up the consistency a bit.  I would return to this stop if I'm in the area - although I probably won't go out of my way to get here.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment