Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Sorry for being a slacker, here is a nice update.

Travis has been nagging at me for a few weeks now about my reviews and it had made me realize, I owe y’all an apology. When we started this thing, we agreed to write about the tacos. The good, the bad and the ugly. 

So far this year, we have had some bad and some ugly tacos. Today’s review/apology will bring you up to date on the goings on thus far. 

We started the year by crowning Pollo Express the 2017 Taco Tour Champion. Ernesto and his team work extremely hard to provide an excellent experience. Frankly, they blew everyone else away last year. We were fortunate enough to meet up with Denise Neal (Dining with Denise) to present Ernesto the award. It was a great time but unfortunately I had to leave early so I could meet a customer and sell a car. 

Before I agreed to give Pollo the nod, I forced the guys to hit Gaga’sGrub, the ugliest food truck in town. Dustin sent us a personal invite months ago. Then, I ran into him at another restaurant and he invited us again. His tacos are fantastic. They are absolutely delicious and I will certainly eat them again, at which point, I will do the detailed review I should have done the first time. 

The first week of February, we headed to El Pollo Dorado al Carbon’s brick and mortar location. Some of you may remember our review of their taco truck, this was slightly better but still left a little to desire. Most of the issues we had were customer service related. Their tacos are pretty good, they are affordable and they come out quick, once they take your order. It was freezing inside the restaurant, the TV was blaring some nonsensical music and it took forever for them to take our order. But the tacos sure are good. 

The next week, some gal ran her mouth on our Facebook page calling Pollo “one of the worst”. None of us took her seriously but we planned a visit to a place she said was better. I got busy working a car deal and couldn’t make it. After the other two ate, it was abundantly clear that there was no reason for me to go, they sucked. 

On February 21, we went to el Viegeto Mexican Restaurant on West Central. Travis has high hopes as this is very close to his office. Apparently we found ourselves here in the first full week of business. The carnitas dry and flavorless. The carne asada was flavorless and chewy. The chicken had a stale, fried shell but the meat inside was nice and tender. It had a terrific kick to it. Chorizo was extremely chorizo-ish. It had a nice flavor and spice to it. I would consider returning, if I was in the area and in a hurry. 

Last week, we went to Taqueria al Tena. This place is in South Seneca, just South of I-235. I was running a few minutes late so I had the yahoos order my tacos. They were kind enough to order a carne asada that was extremely salty yet tender. The Al pastor flavorful but not the best al pastor. Whatever the heck the shredded beef thing was is an extremely leaky taco. It was very fatty and greasy. It produced a fatty, greasy slop. The carnitas was full of flavorless meat and there was some hard crap in the middle of it. 

An update on that unidentified taco, these morons decided to order a cheek taco. It was disgusting. If there is ever a meat on a taco you can’t identify, don’t eat it. It didn’t work out well for me. 

I DO HAVE SOME GREAT TACO NEWS FOR YOU:

Taco Fajita, yes the one that is known to take between 10 and 50 minutes to prepare a plate of tacos, has made significant progress. 

They are now, based on several different visits by multiple people, getting tacos out in the 10-15 minute ballpark. Their food is pretty darn good and the tacos are still just $1. Their service has been their only holdback and it appears that have resolved that issue. 

At this point, roughly 50 taco places in, here are how the top 5 stack up for me:

Pollo Express 
Molinos
Taco Fajita
Gaga’sGrub
El Pollo Dorado al carbon

In short, we are still having a blast. Tacos are amazing and there is no indication that we will be slowing down any time soon. I apologize again for my lack of reviews this year and will stay current by posting future reviews within a day or two of eating the tacos. 

If there is a place that you think we should go, please let us know. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment