Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #49 - El Papa Gallo - 901 E. Harry

So, 1 year and 3 months in and I think we may actually be hitting our stride. We've scheduled three weeks in a row (and going to be a 4th week in a row tomorrow) AHEAD of time and with minimal B.S. back and forth from Thing 1 and Thing 2. Last week's taco try-out was a place someone had recommended to Travis (why he gets all of them, I have no idea) and so it got added to the list pretty quick. So we headed south again to El Papa Gallo Mexican Restaurant at 901 E. Harry.


We showed up around 1145ish on Wednesday and I immediately had a good vibe about the place - hole in the wall joint, but it smelled pretty tasty as soon as we walked in. All of the taco options were listed in one spot at the order counter. So I went with one of each - steak, pork, shredded pork, shredded beef, and chicken. They put the taco choices up in layman's terms for all you non taco experts out there.


We got some chips and salsa to tide us over till the tacos came out, which didn't take long at all. The tacos came out looking quite tasty, standard street style with a grilled pepper to go with it. I started with the chicken taco - it was filled with plenty of meat and had an ok flavor to it. But a little dry. Not sure why I can't find a decent chicken taco in this town, but man.... I don't remember one that really stands out. Anyway, I digress.... needless to say I had a disappointing start. But the remaining tacos more than made up for it. My steak and al pastor (pork) tacos were both quite tasty. Plenty of seasoned meat that was cooked perfectly. The shredded pork (carnitas) and shredded beef (barbacoa) were both very flavorful and juicy. Both of these tacos required zero salsa and were still very good on their own. Definitely good enough to vault El Papa Gallo immediately into my Top 10 taco places for sure, with the possibility of getting higher on the list if I get this same level of consistency again and again.


Overall, I'd say we were all quite happy with this recommendation to Travis. Tasty tacos, quick service, and decent prices that are even better when they do their $1.00 Taco Tuesday specials. I definitely see us heading back for another round soon. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 4.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 3.0 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 4.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 4.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment