Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #51 - Los Compadres - 13th and West St

50. Fifty stops so far, at 50 different places in town. So to kick off our second 50, we decided to do something we hadn't done before: Go back to a place we've already reviewed. In this case, the place was Los Compadres at 13th and West St.


We'd all been talking about going back for various reasons. Travis and Chris had gone the first time without me, although I did go later by myself (See review #23). But probably the main impetus for a new review was because of their recent move. When we walked in, it was quite a change from the ultra small building they were at before. The place was pretty nice and looked like they had put some money into making this a good upgrade. Thing 1 and Thing 2 were already seated when I got there. Next thing I noticed: we had chips and salsa on the table. That was not the case at the old location, so they've obviously changed their M.O. since my last visit. They have a nice selection of tacos here, both street style and Tex-Mex/Americano tacos. I decided to stick with 4 street tacos - carne asada, al pastor, and both chicken tacos (grilled and shredded).


Tacos came out in a pretty timely fashion and looked delish. I started with the shredded chicken taco. And...... I think I FINALLY found a tasty chicken taco that was NOT dry. This taco was quite juicy and had a very nice flavor from the marinade. Highly recommend it. The grilled chicken taco was next and was also a pretty tasty taco. The al pastor had a good peppery taste to it without being too spicy or overbearing. Steak was last - plenty of tender, perfectly cooked steak. Maybe not the flavor pop that the chicken had for sure. But still.... a nice end to a pretty good plate of tacos.


So overall, I was very happy we went back. After I typed everything above, I went back and read my previous review - I enjoyed the tacos before, but this second go round moved Los Compadres up my list quite a bit. Finding one of the few tasty chicken tacos in town will do that. Plus the service was great and they came to their senses and are starting everyone out with chips and salsa. Combine all that with a pretty decent price ($2.ish a taco) and I'm pretty sure I'll be making my way back here for some more. My overall rankings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 4.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 4.5
Overall Experience - 4.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 5.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment