Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #49 - El Papa Gallo - 901 E Harry

A couple of weeks ago, apparently a few friends were in the mood to make recommendations - so during that week we had several tag us in the post for the new S Seneca place but I also had one recommendations sneak in for El Papa Gallo on E Harry.  A bit of a spoiler - I'm VERY happy the recommendation was made. But read on!  So for 2 weeks straight we've actually planned ahead and for this week we made our way to E Harry to check this place out.  Definitely not a big place - you can miss it if you're flying by.  But holes-in-the-wall don't scare me - sometimes they offer the tastiest results!

When I first saw the menu, I was a little concerned because instead of using traditional names, they had "Americanized" the names. So for $2.25 each we were presented with 5 options (check out the pic of the menu). I went for all 5 and waited for what I hoped was a delicious surprise.


The chips and salsa weren't bad. I think the chips were bought in a bag but they were crunchy and I enjoyed the salsa - so really no complaints there. (I could have eaten more.)  The tacos arrived fairly quickly and were presented in a sort of fancy bowl-like thing just like last week (weird).  I realized later I was missing the chicken taco - and then I forgot to snap a pic, so you'll just have to take my word for it that I had one of those too.

Everything was served in a single soft corn tortilla - I still prefer 2 (street-style) because they seem to hold up better if it's juicy meat.  However these seemed to be homemade of some sort - and had been fried shortly. They just an ever so slight crunch on the outside so they were pretty good.


I started with the "marinated pork" (al pastor). It had a nice flavor for sure.  It was a little chewy but nothing to be bothered by - many al pastor tacos we encounter have the same texture, so it wasn't anything unexpected.  It was a tasty taco, the meat had a nice seasoning and I definitely liked this taco.

The "beef steak" (carne asada) was next. The meat was tender and plentiful as some of it fell out of the shell (and I scooped it up later).  It had a nice steak flavor with good seasoning. Overall this was a pretty good taco that I would enjoy again.

The "shredded pork" (carnitas) was next and it was very juicy. This is where I'd appreciate 2 tortillas, but I managed to get it eaten.  Excellent flavor on this taco - it was tender and had plenty of meat.  I'm going to go ahead and say it - this is among the best carnitas taco I've had. It's not THE best (Go to Pollo Express for that one) - but it's definitely ranked among the best. It was very good.

Next I went for the "shredded beef" (desebrada). It was also very juicy and the shell was definitely falling apart. I probably should have started with this one but like the carnitas, I was able to shovel it in my mouth (just try and stop me!).  It had a good flavor also and was enjoyable.

Last (and least) I ate the chicken taco (which was also shredded).  Again, the tortilla was falling apart by now. The "outside" of the meat was juicy, but biting into it I was presented with sort of dry chicken. I know sometimes keeping chicken moist all the way through can be tricky - but if you're gonna make it, you gotta be able to do it.  This wasn't a bad taco, but it was the least of the bunch.  It didn't have a lot of flavor - so I could take it or leave it next time.

Overall I think we've found a spot that we will definitely be back to.  I think we were all quite pleased with the results - and in fact, if they can remain consistent in their taste and quality, this place will land solidly in our top 5 stops in Wichita.  They also have $1 tacos on Tuesdays - so while the value wasn't GREAT on a Wednesday, on a Tuesday it will be excellent!  There will definitely be a return trip here to see if they can keep pace with their first impression - but as of right now, I definitely recommend a stop here! Very good taste, friendly & fast service - totally worth the drive.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:


Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment