Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #51 - Los Compadres (round 2) - 3827 W 13th

We've had some discussion lately about possibly returning to a few places to give them a "second chance". Sometimes this is because they keep getting recommended or mentioned to us, sometimes it's because they've moved or made improvements, and sometimes it's just because our first stop left us wondering if they were better (call it taco gut instincts).  Los Compadres Mexican Grill in on the list of places to retry for all three reasons.  They do get mentioned a lot by others (both friends and followers).  They have recently moved from Central and Zoo to 13th & West street - and their new place is much bigger.  And after our first stop, I think we all felt like they might even be better than our first round.  That's not to say they were bad - please don't misunderstand! They just weren't memorable and we felt like either they or we had a slightly off day - like maybe they were right on the edge of being better than we first realized...

ANYWAY, we ventured to the new location and I must say this family knows how to make a nice looking restaurant. Even in the tiny spot they were in before, it was well decorated and kept up. The new place looks even better. They spent the time and money to make this look like a nice place - it's definitely not a hole in the wall. The staff is very friendly - even with a little fun sass from our waitress as we bantered back and forth (that gets you points in my book).


Chips and salsa were yummy - nice crunch to the chips and a good flavored salsa with an appropriate amount of spice.  They have a good variety of tacos in both American style and traditional - and with a good selection of meats. I went with 4 Tacos El Compadre (traditional) in Asada, Pollo (shredded chicken as recommended by our waitress), al pastor, carnitas - I also later added 1 grilled chicken to the mix also (and forgot to take a pic).  They are also a Pepsi joint - so I happily added a Dew to my order.

Our food came out in a timely manner and it looked yummy.  Everything was street style with 2 tortillas, plenty of meat, and onions & cilantro.  I dug into the asada first and it was nice and tender.  The meat was plentiful and had a nice steak flavor.  Did I mention it was tender? Because seriously, it was very tender. I enjoyed every bite of this taco.

Next was the shredded chicken.  I asked our waitress about the Pollo Asada on the menu - which is a grilled chicken. She said she liked the shredded better but that it was very juicy and came cooked in a red sauce.  She was right - it was VERY juicy. I thought maybe she meant it would have a red sauce over it, but it didn't. It just had a red color to it from being cooked in it (I assume).  Either way it had a really good flavor and was quite enjoyable.

The al pastor was next and was also a tender meat. I'm not a cook, but we've found that finding a tender al pastor sometimes is difficult. Even tasty ones are sometimes a little on the chewy side. This one was not - but it also wasn't quite as bold flavored as others we've had. It was still a good taco so I wouldn't shy away from it.

Carnitas was next - and as you probably know by now, my bar is pretty high for carnitas.  This one came out just a little greasy but it had a good flavor.  This was definitely a good taco also, but it just can't compete with Pollo Express - which I'm thinking about as I write this since I had a PE Carnitas last night! :)  Still, it's a good choice here too.

After I finished those, I decided to add the grilled chicken because Shon said it was good.  It also was a very tender chicken and pretty tasty. It was also juicy - which we've found somewhat difficult to find lately.  It seems like many chicken tacos have been a bit dry - this one was not!  This grilled chicken was yummy and not disappointing!

Overall, I'm really happy we came back to Los Compadres. The word of the day is tender! Seriously, everything was really tender! They know what they're doing. They make excellent food and I'm anxious to come back and try some other dishes here. The staff is friendly and attentive. The service is fast enough for lunch and the restaurant is very nice inside and plenty of room.  They are also close to my office so it's always a plus to find some really good tacos this close.  This will very likely become a more frequent stop!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:


Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

1 comment:

  1. If you like their street tacos, check them out on Tuesdays when they are only $1 each! At that price, one can afford to try a variety! So delicious! The deshebrada (pulled beef) is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete