Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #48 - Taqueria Altena - I-235 and Seneca

For the second week in a row we were actually able to figure out where we were going pretty easily. Makes for a nice change of pace to not listen to Thing 1 and Thing 2 text 4594537 times trying to figure it out. I had seen a post being shared on Facebook about this new joint down south, so I asked Travis about it and he was like "Yeah, I've already been tagged in that post 4 or 5 times." So, not knowing what was driving this kind of attention, we decided to venture out ourselves and find out.


Taqueria Altena is located in a building just south of I-235 on Seneca. West side of the street. And you better look hard or you'll blink and miss it. Anyway, we get there and there are already a few people there which is a good sign. We went and ordered at the counter and..... cash only. So, of course I ended up springing for our buddy David who happened to join us on this lunch. I placed my order for 4 tacos - a shredded pork, an al pastor, an asada, and a shredded cheek taco for the heck of it.


My tacos came out in pretty quick fashion and really looked pretty tasty. Standard street taco dress with onion and cilantro and lime on the side. Basically these tacos could be divvied up into two categories - dry and juicy. The shredded pork and the cheek taco were heavy on the juicy side, almost messy. But flavor wise they were both really pretty tasty. I enjoyed these tacos quite a bit, despite the number of napkins I had to use, especially with the cheek taco. Both had plenty of flavorful, juicy meat. Don't pay any attention to Chris' whining on his review of the cheek taco here, this is a guy who's eating off the kiddie menu at every stop. But yeah, we definitely needed both tortillas to keep these together. The asada and the al pastor were both average tacos. Maybe slightly above. They had plenty of meat, but they were both a little dry and probably seemed even more so after eating the first two tacos. They didn't have as much as flavor as the first two tacos, but still a couple of decent tacos. Just nothing that made my taste buds as happy as the first two did.


Overall, this was definitely a place worth stopping into. If I'm in the area again, I would be back in for another round and maybe to try some of the other things on the menu. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.5 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.5 Tacos
Service - 3.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment